Income Insurance pays a monthly benefit if you are unable to work because of a total disability.
Ask yourself this –
If you had an accident or became very ill and were no longer able to earn an income, how would you manage financially?
In some circumstances you may receive financial assistance from the Government. The bad news is that it's unlikely to be enough to maintain your current lifestyle, let alone allow you to plan for your future – pay off the mortgage, your children's education, retirement savings, holidays etc.
Income Cover provides you with a regular income, allowing you to live the life you want to live. You will remain financially independent, regardless of whether or not you are able to return to work.
Most people take it for granted that they will work until they can afford to retire – and for many of us that means we will still be working until we are at least 65, when government super commences.
It's worth thinking about how much you are likely to earn over your lifetime - because if something happened and you were unable to work, then that's how much you risk losing.
Let's say you are 30 years old and you earn $60,000 per annum. You have an Income Cover policy worth $45,000. If you suffered a total disability and were unable to work, here's an idea of how much income you would lose - and how much your claim would be worth:
|Age when disabilty occurs||
Insured Amount- adjusted annually by inflation (3%)
|Total Loss of Income to age 65|
Once you start to crunch the numbers you can see how much your future earnings are worth to you and your family. Insuring your income means that you don't have to gamble on your health and risk losing everything that you have worked so hard for.
Your ability to earn is your greatest financial asset and Income Cover will protect it for you.
Income Cover is comprehensive and can offer special features such as,
- An additional lump-sum payment if you are totally and permanently disabled.
- Financial assistance with additional expenses that may arise as a result of a permanent disability.
- Financial assistance for retraining and rehabilitation. Help to get back to work and feeling in control of life.
- A partial payment to top up your income if you are only able to work in a reduced capacity. Ease back into full-time work by making sure that you do not suffer financially.
- Your original sum insured still applies if you are on leave without pay for up to 12 months.
- The confidence knowing that on leave without pay (e.g. sabbatical, maternity) nothing changes.
- Waiver of waiting period if your disability recurs within six months of going off claim.
- Cover for people who work but don't necessarily earn a salary such as Home makers and students.
- The option to increase your cover on policy anniversary, in addition to CPI – no health questions asked, allowing you to keep your insurance up to date with your changing lifestyle, regardless of any changes to your health.
To discuss Income Insurance Cover or any of your other insurance needs please phone one of our Advisers on 07 578 3863 or Freephone 0800 867 323.
- Last updated on .